Wednesday 12 September 2012

spongeing



A day in the kitchen today.
The Royal Show entries need to be delivered on Sunday morning and as I have had a couple of very slack preserving seasons I am having to make up for wasted time.
I've tried to repair the not quite jellified pomegranate jelly and cooked up the blood orange jelly- fingers crossed they set properly. I did a batch of cumquat marmalade before I went to Tasmania but discovered today that I had made 'exhibition shred' instead of the 'breakfast chunky' that I had accidentally entered. Luckily I had a batch of blood orange marmalade ready to cook up so now I have a spare batch of very beautiful and delicious cumquat marmalade going spare. Dell says the blood orange tastes like sunshine in a jar.
Now I've got the oven clean and holding temperature spot on and have bought new sponge sandwich tins it was time to do a test bake. I used my usual sponge recipe and they turned out fabulous- so we had to eat one for afternoon tea! Whipped cream and passionfruit icing. Very proud of my sponges and I will have to make a plain and a ginger fluff and whip up a batch of lamingtons. Really wondering why we have signed up, competition cooking is hell!
And there is the chocolate truffles too. I made the mix today but used a different leatherwood honey and a slightly different chocolate, I'm not so sure about them. Oh well. I'm sure everyone will enjoy eating the leftovers.
My hopes lie with my sponges (jinxed myself now).


5 comments:

  1. my absolute favourite sponge...right there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. cheering you on from over here pen!!
    all the way, with many blue ribbons.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. cheering you on from over here!!!!
    i hope you win blue ribbons for all!xz

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read this post with great interest. Have wanted to enter the Royal Show Competition for years (friends and I plan to do a chutney-a-thon amongst ourselves first, and decide which of us should enter). Best of luck! Sunshine in a jar sounds magnificent, and the sponge cake has me drooling. I can almost taste it!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message for me.
I like getting mail!