Saturday 10 July 2010

hunt and gather, dream and plan


Morning all.
Sorry I've been blog-absent for the last week but, to tell you the truth, even though I wrote posts 20 times a day in my head I just didn't have the energy to collate my thoughts at the end of the day. I'm hoping that I am at the tail end of my lack of focus and that I can begin to get a bit of bounce happening. As much as I love winter perhaps it is just that natural inclination to hibernate that has overtaken me this year. I've also had no interruptions, like teaching, to take me away from my own work so have managed to get a bit bored with it all- hence the day tripping that's been happening. I didn't get to show you the finds of last week but if I get a chance tomorrow I'll take some photos. 
One of my favourite snaffles of last Friday was this paint-by-numbers piece. I've wanted one for years and the only ones I've found in the past were horrendously expensive and/or really badly damaged. Then there was the quandary of where to hang it! I thought I'd share it and it's now hanging in the shop change room.


Which brings me to this week's shop news......
*A parcel has arrived from Nikki and we now have stock of her new 30% alpaca/70% wool yarn suitable for Construction #2 in black and brown.
*A parcel arrived from Tasmania with more spotty knitting needles and I've extended the size range so there are now 4mm, 5mm, 6mm, 8mm and 10mm. (Seems like we are turning into a knitting shop- I was giving a customer casting on lessons last Saturday!)
*A new batch of Pianola shades arrived last Saturday, grew legs and walked out the door so we have another batch arriving today. Including the new 8" diameter ones, the ones delivered last week didn't even hit the bench and they were sold. (In fact if you head up Yea way in a month you'll be able to see then used in a new gallery/cafe/shop.)
* The latest collection of vintage bases have gone off to be re-wired so hopefully they will be back Monday week. If you are interested drop us a line and we'll give you a call when they are ready.
* I did manage to get some tea-towel cushions done and if there are any homesick New Zealanders out there then we have the start of a batch of fabulous NZ ones for you to say 'sweet' over. 
* I'm still trying to finish the purses that are cluttering the table upstairs. I have more handspun yarn to do. I need to finish owlettes and have got to stuffed stage with a batch of our beloved sock monkeys. 
*I started work on a new product months ago. I gave the first testers out to friends and the feedback was great so I've finally managed to get the first two batches wrapped and in store as of today. I'm not going to tell you what it is- you'll have to wait until I can take a lovely product shot.... tomorrow ok?

And the really big news of the week is that my application to take part in the Young Blood Market at the Powerhouse Museum in Sydney has been successful. Rising panic and a desperate need to focus is now on the agenda. I have a short space of time to get myself sorted and make a shitload of stock as I'll need stock for the shop and shop for the market. I'll be road-tripping it up, borrowing the Volvo station wagon, and am thinking of all the op-shops between here and Steak-and-Kidney......


1 comment:

  1. Yes, this is what I'm hoping to avoid. Do you get time to do your own crafty things, just for fun and not to sell? I admire you though, and maybe envy you a bit too. I want a life of craft and I want to pay my bills, but I want to make things that take 100 hours. You sound... busy!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message for me.
I like getting mail!