Friday 1 January 2010

a new day


There really is nothing like watching New Year fireworks from your own window.
What a lazy way to start the new decade.
And sleeping in and lolling about.
Although I did do the laundry and mopped the shop floor ready for tomorrow.
And made bread dough ready to go into the oven tomorrow morning.
I'm not one for making New Year's resolutions but I think that making a loaf of bread now and then might be one that I feel like sticking to. At least I can slice it up, chuck it in the freezer and have it all ready for toasting when I feel like it. That's a good way to start the year I think. Making your own bread is so simple and alchemical. A mound of flour, a bit of salt, some water and fresh yeast, glorious yeast, and there you have a lump of pure gold, crunchy on the outside, fluffy on the inside. A perfect metaphor for the New Year I think.






1 comment:

  1. happy new year, pene! my new year's resolution is pretty simple, absolutely never ever use a plastic bag ever again - was working on it last year but slipped a few times - and never ever buy bottled water ever again, ever!!!! i have a few goals and things, but they can take care of themselves! i wish you well, health, happiness and beautiful bread. x

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message for me.
I like getting mail!